HOW TO APPLY
How to Apply
Applying for housing with the Port Huron Housing Commission is easy!
- A perspective resident needs to get an application from the Management Office located at 905 Seventh Street, Port Huron, or click here to download and print your copy to complete and mail:
- Download and Print Application
- Complete the application in full and submit it to the Housing Commission Management Office along with a picture ID for everyone to be in the household who is 18 years and older.
I Have Applied, Now What?
When your name reaches the top of our waiting list and we have an apartment available that meets your needs, you will be contacted. At that time, we determine your eligibility by verifying your preferences, your household income, references, and background checks. Once you are determined eligible and the apartment becomes available, you will be moving in!!
Please make sure you keep us informed of your most up-to-date contact information! If we cannot contact you, your name could be removed from our waiting list and it would become necessary for you to re-apply should you continue to be interested.
PUBLIC HOUSING PROGRAM
The Port Huron Housing Commission owns and operates over 400 apartments under a Public Housing program regulated by HUD. These apartments are all located in the City of Port Huron and are distributed among five Villages.
Three Villages are designated as family living and two Villages are designated as senior living. Rent is computed on each household’s gross income less eligible deductions.
Currently the waiting list for the family public housing program is: OPEN
Most Family Villages Offer:
- One to Five Bedroom Apartments
- Playgrounds/Ball Courts
- Front and back entrances
- Patio/Spacious Covered Porches
- 500 to over 1000 sq ft of private space
- Appliances: Energy Star Stove and Refrigerator
- Washer/Dryer hook up
- Cable/Internet hook up
- Locations close to schools and shopping
- Outside security lighting
- Wired smoke detectors
- Free on-site parking
- Courtyards and open green space
- Microwave cabinets
Dulhut Village – Newly Renovated Family Housing
Opened September 1970 / Renovated in 2011
- Dulhut Village Apartments are located in Port Huron bounded by Nern Street, 22ndStreet and Cleveland Street.
- Dulhut contains 8 one-bedroom apartments, 30 two-bedroom apartments, 32 three-bedroom apartments, 16 four-bedroom apartments, and 4 five-bedroom apartments – for a total of 90 apartments available for low-income families.
Gratiot Village – Family Housing
Opened May 1967 / Renovated in 2014
- Gratiot Village is located in Port Huron on Riverview Street between 10th and 12th Avenues.
- Gratiot contains 8 one-bedroom apartments, 20 two-bedroom apartments, 24 three-bedroom apartments, 6 four-bedroom apartments, and 1 five-bedroom apartment – for a total of 59 apartments available for low-income families.
Huron Village – Family Housing
Opened January 1967 / Renovated in 2014
- Huron Village is located in Port Huron bounded by 25th Street, Nern Street, 28th Street, and Manuel Street.
- Huron contains 4 one-bedroom apartments, 20 two-bedroom apartments, 26 three-bedroom apartments, 8 four-bedroom apartments, and 1 five-bedroom apartment – for a total of 59 apartments available for low-income families.
Currently the waiting list for the senior public housing program is: OPEN
All Senior Villages Offer:
- Studio, One, and Two Bedroom Apartments
- Laundry rooms
- Emergency pull cords
- Accessible apartments
- Appliances: stove and refrigerator
- Secured entrance with intercom door system
- Carpeted living room and bedroom
- Walk in closets in 1 and 2 bedroom apartments
- Resident councils and activities
- Central air conditioning
- Vending/social area
- Newly renovated community space for events
- Updated modern common spaces
- Television/computer area with free internet access
- Security cameras
- Generators providing heat, common space lighting, and 1 live outlet in each apartment during power outages
- Wired smoke detectors
To be eligible for the senior designation, you must be at least 50 years of age. Preference is given to those 62 years of age and older.
Desmond Village – Newly Renovated Senior Housing
Opened October 1968 / Renovated in 2012
- Desmond Village is located in downtown Port Huron bounded by 7th Street, Howard Street, 8th Street, and Pine Street.
- Desmond contains 18 studio apartments, 84 one-bedroom apartments, and 6 two-bedroom apartments; for a total of 108 apartments available for low-income senior citizens.
Peru Village – Newly Renovated Senior Housing
Opened April 1968 / Renovated in 2012
- Peru Village is located in Port Huron in the college district bounded by Erie Street, Glenwood Avenue, Ontario Street, and Bard Street.
- Peru contains 12 studio apartments, 80 one-bedroom apartments, and 5 two-bedroom apartments; for a total of 97 apartments available for low-income senior citizens.
SECTION 8 HCV
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (rent subsidy) for Family Housing and Senior Housing
Currently this waiting list is: OPEN
The Housing Commission manages and operates a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program available through the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federal rental assistance program for very low-income families, seniors, and person with disabilities. To be eligible, household annual gross income must fall below the HUD Very Low (50%) Income Limits for your family size. Check to see if you qualify for St. Clair County, Michigan, by clicking here.
- Once determined eligible, a family’s rent subsidy is calculated by the Housing Commission which is based on household gross income less eligible deductions and is paid directly to the landlord.
- Families pay the difference between the actual contract rent and rent subsidy to the landlord having the ability to determine what level of expense they can afford.
- The Housing Commission administers approximately 600 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers throughout St. Clair County.
- When this waiting list is opened, it will be published in the local newspaper and on the front page of this website.